10.26.2009

october 26│day 25

Rome wasn't built in a day... and neither was this post.  

Day 1
The first day, we settled into our lovely hostel, cried because it smelled like cat pee, took heart when Teresa discovered the linens all smelled like bleach, and, finally, walked down to the Coliseum.






It was breathtaking.



So are they. :)







The Arch of Constantine







Gelato!  It was possibly the best thing I've ever eaten.




Day 2

The second day, we slept in, packed sandwiches, strapped all our cash and passports onto our bodies, sewed our credit cards into our sweat shirts, and head to the Vatican Museum.  The museum was amazing... ancient sculpture, the Raphael rooms, and the Sistine Chapel.


Oooo, aaaahhh.















Ever read Homer?










You weren't allowed to take pictures of the Sistine Chapel. but that didn't stop Teresa.  She has about thirty shots of the chapel, but we thought you'd enjoy Creation.


A quick lunch in one one of the gardens and then, off to St. Peter's Basilica.



A Nun took our picture.  Smile. 











The Pieta



Pete



It was one of the most ornate buildings I've ever since.  These pictures don't do it justice.  It was really gorgeous.



Afterwards, we headed to a market and looked around. While there was lots to see, the mascarade stand was by far the best.





Day 3
You can't go to Rome without visiting the Ancient City.  First stop, breakfast... Mmmm, Italian coffee.  Then, the Coliseum, Palantine Hill, the Forum, and the Circus Maximus.









The ruins of a gladiator school visible from the Coliseum... Not the best picture, but this is were the top gladiators would have trained.










Teresa on Palatine Hill, were Romulus and Remus were abandoned...



The Remains of Caesar's Palace











It was chilly, so we tried the gypsy look...


Via Sacra











The girls at the Forum



Circus Maximus or what's left of it.


Day 4
The last day, we spent the morning following in the footsteps of Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.  The Spanish Steps, Fountain de Trevi, and, of course, the Mouth of Truth.



The Spanish Steps











Fountain de Trevi... Throw in one penny, a spend return to Rome.  Two, to find love in Rome.







The Pantheon... Still in tact, after nearly 2000 years.















Waiting for the Catacomb tour at our favorite hangout, the Coliseum.



First, our tour guide took us to the Mouth of Truth... Stick your hand in and if you're a liar, it eats your hand.



Praying to St. Valentine.  We spent a while here.



The Catacombs











The tour ended with Michelangelo's Moses.



Finally, bruschetta and pizza for our last night out.  It was an incredible weekend with three of my favorite people.  So glad that we got to go to Rome, girls!!




7 comments:

lori perron said...

What an awesome experience and a blessing to be able to do it together. The song "How Ya Gonna Keep em Down on the Farm" comes to mind. Life will never be the same. Keep safe. My thoughts an prayers are with you all.
Lori Perron

Mimi said...

Wow! It looks like you guys are having an amazing time, how fun! Great pics, great friends, it can't get any better:)

Bekah said...

PLEASE tell me you bought a masquerade mask! those things were sweet! Love the pics! miss you girls!

Tonya said...

Buon giorno, bella regazzi. Oh how I wish I was with you!!! I miss Italia! Roma is incredible but you didn't get to see Napoli, Capri, Ischea, Pompeii, Amalfi, Sorrento, Paestum, Erculanium... Even Milano, Firenza and Venezia are nice to visit but Napoli is by far the most interesting spot in Italia!! But I guess you had to go back to school:)

You have made me homesick for my second home. I would love to hope a plane and enjoy some wonderful, gooey, Pizza Napolitano with thin crust, fresh tomato, basil and fresh Mozzarella di Bufala cheese. Did you have any insalata caprese? I agree, gelato is nice but I do still like ice cream better.

I remember the first time I saw the Colloseo e San Pietro. Awe inspiring! Per favore, let me see all your pictures when you get home! Italian phrases thrown in so you get that wonderful Italian welcome feeling :)

Heather @ Running Forward said...

Mrs. Lamb, We loved Italy... but I must confess that Teresa loved it more than me. Perhaps you'll get to go back one day. We're going to Milan in December, so I'll try and use some the Italian you posted. Miss you guys!! Ciao!!

Bek, I totally bought a mask! Not sure what I'll use it for, but it's mine. :) Oh, yes.

katelyn and Emily said...

looks like you had fun<3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett said...

Ladies,
That's so cool you got to see the Vatican. Lots of church history there. And to see St. Peter's Basillica, you know, that's what Teztel was selling indulgances for just before the Reformation --- to pay for that place! It must be profound to view Rome, the greatest of the ancient empires --- in ruins, yet the Church marches on! Now as for the extended "prayer time" at St. Valentines...

Glad you're enjoying such wonderful, gourmet treats in Europe; fine cuisine in picturesque settings, full of relational ambiance. Back here in 'merica we gonna head out tonat for "Uncle Bob's Chili Fest" . It ain't farren but it's good eatin and loads of fun, 'specially for the youngins!

Let Your Light Shine,
Brett